If you like Old School you probably have heard about the German International tournament
Sadly I won’t be able to make it even though I worked on a brew to get the max points I could think of while still having a nice deck to play. I even ordered jank from MKM for it and playtested it a whole session.
Since I’m such a nice guy I’ll share that work and fun with you guys, hoping you’ll enjoy it!
The Perks (Bold = targeted perk) :
- *Fun player* – not playing The Deck or UR Counterburn: +2 points
- *Half Breed* – playing one to three P9 only: +3 points
- *Budget Master* – playing completely unpowered: +5 points
- *Fresh Meat* – first time playing 93/94 in Germany: +1 points
- *Grand Arbiter* – for multicolored decks, each color in the maindeck is represented with the exact same amount of cards : +3 points
- *Summoner* – combined power of creatures in the maindeck exceeds 50: +3 points
- *Child of Darkness* – playing at least 15 cards from The Dark in the maindeck: +4 points
- *Wordsmith* – for each letter in the alphabet, play a card in the maindeck starting with that letter: +5 points
Sorry The Dark and I like playing with Power 🙂
The process :
- Set up an Excel with a line for each letter (and calculating total ATK/colour split) and get scryfall.com running to get all cards sorted alphabetically.
- Notice that there are only 2 cards in Q which aren’t playable (Quagmire in Black and Quarum Trench Gnomes in Red)
- Notice that Will-O, Xenic, Yawgmoth and Zephyr finish the alphabet nicely and we’re set for a UB deck.
- Add the usual suspects and Underground Sea.
- Add some Erg Raiders, Guardian Beast, Hurkyl’s Recall, Juzam Djinn, Khabal Ghoul, Nevinnyral’s Disk, Oubliette, Phantasmal Image, Royal Assassin and Volcanic Island (as an island starting with V)
- Adjust quantities and notice that you aren’t that far from *Summoner* perk so adding a Leviathan is a nobrainer.
- Notice that you’re like a Project M / Disco Troll deck and that you already have Volcanic Island and several deck cards Main Deck to work on a red transformational sideboard
The final decklist (2 slots left in the sideboard) :
Playtesting results (vs “real decks”) :
- 1st game you better dodge your unplayable (Leviathan, Quagmire, …) 🙂
- The Disk’s / Hurkyl’s synergy is very fun
- Xenic Poltergeist is a good card (gunnarsonbag.blogspot)
- Turn 1 Nebuchadnezzar (mox + land + lotus) doesn’t win games 😀
- vs The Deck: you’ve got game and the Guardian Beast+Chaos Orb lock is so great
- vs Monoblack : Hyppy turn 1 is a problem (Might wanna get Bolts in the sideboard)
- vs Prison : Erg Raiders and Phantasmal Images are good beaters / Disks and trolls are nice
Final words :
So sad I don’t get to win the upcoming tournament because starting with 14 points and such a fun and powerful deck it would have been a blast!
I don’t have time to go get my cards right now so a http://manastack.com picture will do the trick!